The 2015 Hockey East Tournament semifinals are now set. Boston University, UMass-Lowell, Vermont and New Hampshire have advanced to the Garden to play for the Lamoriello Trophy. Just as everyone predicted.
Here is the bracket:
Friday - Sunday, March 6-8: Best-of-Three Opening Round
Play on Campus
(5) Notre Dame defeats (12) Massachusetts, 3-4 5 OT, 5-3, 7-0
(11) Merrimack defeats (6) Northeastern, 3-2 OT, 2-1 2OT
(7) Vermont defeats (10) Maine, 4-2, 2-4, 3-2 OT
(8) New Hampshire defeats (9) Connecticut, 5-2, 2-0
Friday - Sunday, March 13-15: Best-of-Three Quarterfinal Round
Play on Campus
(1) Boston University defeats (11) Merrimack, 6-2, 5-0
(8) New Hampshire defeats (2) Providence, 2-1 OT, 1-2, 2-1 OT
(7) Vermont defeats (3) Boston College, 2-4, 3-1, 1-0
(4) UMass Lowell defeats (5) Notre Dame, 5-0, 2-4, 6-4
Friday, March 20: Semifinals Games
(1) Boston University vs. (8) New Hampshire
(4) UMass Lowell vs. (7) Vermont
Saturday, March 21: Championship Final
As it stands now, three of the four programs advancing to the Garden are on the wrong side of the PairWise cut line -- UMass Lowell in a tie for 16th, Vermont at 19 and New Hampshire in a tie for 27th. In a vacuum, if Lowell or Vermont win the tournament title, they'll finish on the right side of the bubble. UNH wouldn't be above the cut line, and a Wildcats tournament title would certainly make teams right on the bubble sweat it out a little next Sunday.
I, for one, welcome our new drop-kick dog overlords.