With just 2-3 regular season games per team remaining, here's where we stand going into Saturday night:
|1||Boston University||19||13||3||3||29||75||45||ND, NU, @ NU|
|2||Boston College||20||11||6||3||25||57||47||@ ND x2|
|3||Providence||19||11||7||1||23||50||31||@ UMA, ME x2|
|UMass Lowell||20||10||7||3||23||64||49||UVM x2|
|5||Northeastern||19||10||7||2||22||60||52||@ ME, @ BU, BU|
|6||Notre Dame||19||8||6||5||21||58||49||@ BU, BC x2|
|Vermont||19||10||8||1||21||59||47||MC, @ UML x2|
|8||Maine||19||7||10||2||16||54||61||NU, @ PC x2|
|Connecticut||20||6||10||4||16||37||69||@ UNH, UMA|
|10||New Hampshire||19||7||11||1||15||54||66||UC, MC x2|
|11||Merrimack||19||5||12||2||12||37||49||@ UVM, @ UNH x2|
|12||Massachusetts||20||4||15||1||9||57||97||PC, @ UC|
– With one point against Notre Dame, Boston University has clinched a first-round bye and at least a share of the UNH Memorial Regular Season Conference title. With three games to go, BU's magic number for an outright regular season title is just 1 point.
– Providence and Lowell are currently tied for the third seed, but the River Hawks have a game in hand. If the two programs finish with the same number of points, PC holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over Lowell with a 2-0-0 regular season series sweep.
– Similarly, Notre Dame and Vermont are tied, but the Irish won the regular season series 1-0-1.
– Maine and the #icebus are tied for 8th place, but Maine has a game in hand. UConn owns the head-to-head with a 1-0-1 regular season record against the Black Bears, so if the season ended today, UConn would get home ice for the best-of-three opening round series.
And here's how the Hockey East Tournament would look if the season ended today:
Friday - Sunday, March 6-8: Best-of-Three Opening Round
Play on Campus
(12) Massachusetts vs. (5) Northeastern (series tied 1-1-0)
(11) Merrimack at (6) Notre Dame (series tied 1-1-0)
(10) New Hampshire at (7) Vermont (series tied 1-1-0)
(9) Maine at (8) Connecticut (UConn leads 1-0-1)
Friday - Sunday, March 13-15: Best-of-Three Quarterfinal Round
Play on Campus
Lowest remaining seed at (1) Boston University
Second-lowest remaining seed at (2) Boston College
Second-highest remaining seed at (3) Providence
Highest remaining seed at (4) UMass Lowell
Friday, March 20: Semifinals Games
Saturday, March 21: Championship Final
Boston College has a bit of breathing room when it comes to landing a first-round bye, but there's little margin of error in those final two games at Notre Dame. Certainly not with PC and Lowell both having a fairly manageable slate down the stretch, and a red-hot Northeastern team with a game in hand over BC and Lowell.