clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Syracuse Basketball Self-Imposes Postseason Ban For 2014-15

New, 8 comments

Will not play in the ACC Tournament or postseason.

Rich Barnes-USA TODAY Sports

In response to an on-going NCAA investigation, Syracuse will self-impose a one-year postseason ban on its men's basketball team. Here are the pertinent details via syracuse.com:

The university announced this afternoon that it had previously notified the NCAA of the ban as part of its pending case before the NCAA Committee on Infractions.

SU imposed the ban "as a further means of acknowledging past mistakes," the university said in a news release.

"I am very disappointed that our basketball team will miss the opportunity to play in the post-season this year," SU basketball coach Jim Boeheim said in the release. "However, I supported this decision and I believe the University is doing the right thing by acknowledging that past mistakes occurred. Our players have faced adversity and challenges before. I know they will rise to this challenge by keeping our program strong and continuing to make our University proud."

According to the release, the one-year ban includes the NCAA tournament, the ACC tournament, and the National Invitational Tournament. So, no ACC Tournament or NIT for Syracuse this year, which, convenient. This will be the first time the Orange aren't in a postseason tournament since 1993.

No word on how the ACC will revise the ACC Men's Basketball Tournament format in light of Syracuse's one-year postseason ban. If I had to guess, the conference will eliminate the 10-15 game on Tuesday, leaving just the 12-13 and 11-14 matchups on that first day. The 7-10/15 matchup on Wednesday will just become a 7-10 matchup. So Boston College would avoid Tuesday in Greensboro by finishing 10th instead of 9th now.

And no, UConn, you can't take Syracuse's place in Greensboro this year. Sorry, bros.