On Tuesday, Sports Illustrated joined the growing list of publications to release their 2014-15 ACC basketball predictions. In a slight upset, Blogger So Dear alumnus and SI's Martin Rickman picked the Eagles to finish not last...not next to last...and not next to next to last either.
1. Duke Blue Devils -- 15-3
2. Louisville Cardinals -- 14-4
3. Virginia Cavaliers -- 13-5
4. North Carolina Tar Heels -- 12-6
5. Syracuse Orange -- 10-8
6. Pittsburgh Panthers -- 10-8
7. Notre Dame Fighting Irish -- 10-8
8. Miami Hurricanes -- 9-9
9. Florida State Seminoles -- 8-10
10. North Carolina State Wolfpack -- 8-10
11. Clemson Tigers -- 7-11
12. Boston College Eagles -- 5-13
13. Virginia Tech Hokies -- 5-13
14. Wake Forest Demon Deacons -- 5-13
15. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets -- 4-14
As I mentioned when both CBS Sports and ESPN picked BC to finish DFL, I think BC is going to surprise a few teams in conference play this year. This preview is a bit more in line with where I think expectations should be for the team this year. BC probably won't crack the middle third of the conference standings, but also won't finish DFL either. I expect the Eagles to win a few conference games--enough to approach .500 overall and at least be in the conversation for A postseason tournament.
Here's what Rickman had to say about the Eagles in 2014-15:
It's hard to imagine now, but five years ago the Eagles made their seventh NCAA tournament appearance in nine seasons. Last year Boston College went 8-24, and replaced head coach Steve Donahue with Jim Christian. Olivier Hanlan has star-potential but there isn't enough talent here to get the Eagles back to the Big Dance.
You can read the entire preview here.