clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Boston College Men’s Hockey v. Maine: Final Thoughts and Predictions

2019 Beanpot Tournament - Championship Photo by Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

Soooooo good news bad news.

Good news is that BC has clinched a spot in the Hockey East tournament, meaning they will have a shot to get to the Garden and win the Hockey East championship and the conference’s autobid to the NCAA Tournament.

Bad news is that they will almost certainly have to go to another campus to get there.

playoffstatus.com currently lists BC as having merely an ~11% chance of finishing in a spot with a home tournament series in the first round. That means that there is an 89% chance BC goes on the road in the tournament. What’s worse, while there is a significant amount of statistical uncertainty, BC’s most likely finishing spot is the eighth spot, where the Eagles will almost certainly have to travel to Amherst to make it to the Garden.

The thing is that BC, with two games against Northeastern and a game against Providence coming up, controls its destiny for the third and fourth spots in the tournament. But that does mean that BC cannot slip this upcoming weekend against a team that... let’s just say it struggled against the last time the two teams played. And Maine has a lot to play for too in terms of seeding, so this will not be a pushover of a game.

So what’s going on with this two game series in Orono?

What to Watch For

  1. Struggling in the second period: Last week’s games followed the same blueprint: play a competitive game in the first, fall apart in the second. It’s a blueprint that has crept up more times than most BC fans are happy about this year (including, incidentally, the last game BC and Maine played). The Eagles can’t let it happen again.
  2. Better Defensive Play: This goes without much explanation. The defense needs to be better than it was in January
  3. It’s crunch time: This is the part of the season where there can’t be any mistakes. These games matter a whole lot now.

Random, Possibly Incorrect Fact from Maine’s Wikipedia Page

The Black Bears are Maine’s only Division I athletic program.

Drink of the Game

Seen Around - September 2018 - New York Fashion Week: The Shows - Day 1 Photo by Noam Galai/Getty Images

Water

No nonsense this weekend. Get the job done.

Maine’s Mascot

This is mostly here for Laura’s benefit.

Predictions

This is a big series, not just for BC but for Maine too. There’s a lot in terms of tournament implications riding on this weekend. I think BC bucks the trend of poor play on the road for one game but drops the next.

Maine Predictions

Name Who Will Win Friday? What Will Be The Score? Who Will Win Saturday? What Will Be The Score? In Five Words Or Less, Describe Your Thoughts On Losing To Maine 7-1 Earlier In The Season:
Name Who Will Win Friday? What Will Be The Score? Who Will Win Saturday? What Will Be The Score? In Five Words Or Less, Describe Your Thoughts On Losing To Maine 7-1 Earlier In The Season:
Grant Boston College 3-2 Boston College 4-2 I forced out that memory
Steven Boston College 3-2 Maine 4-1 I envied those not watching
Peter Boston College 4-1 Boston College 3-2 Meh, it's just a game.
Laura Boston College Baldwin > Bananas Boston College Eagles > Black bears that look like panthers Bananas is my enemy
Arthur Boston College 3-2 Maine 2-1 Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy