BC began its home-and-home series against UConn with a 6-0 blowout at Kelley Rink tonight, with four players having multi-point games and goalie Spencer Knight earning his second shutout in eight games.
First of all, the Eagles had new uniforms tonight, wearing throwbacks inspired by the 1960s. The only way to describe these jerseys is “fire.”
Anyway, back to the game. Alex Newhook began the scoring for BC six minutes into the first period, off an impossible angle along the goal line. With two minutes left in the first period, Connor Moore’s power play one timer was tipped in off a UConn forward, doubling the Eagles’ lead going into the first intermission. Newhook scored his second goal of the night at 6:44 of the second period right after a power play had expired, putting the Eagles up 3-0. A little less than four minutes later, McBain scored his first goal of the season on a beautiful wrist shot and put BC up 4-0 heading into the second intermission. Five minutes into the third period, Logan Hutsko created a turnover in the offensive zone while the Eagles and Huskies were playing 4-on-4 and went five-hole on UConn’s goalie. Five minutes after that, Drew Helleson’s wrist shot deflected off of David Cotton and trickled into the net, giving the Eagles a touchdown.
This recap would be incomplete without highlighting one of the best moments of tonight’s game - Marshall Warren shot the puck into a dislodged net moments after the whistle had blown and celebrated anyway. Sports are fun! It was legendary. If there’s a gif of this moment created at any point, we’ll probably update this post with it.
Marshall Warren shoots into the dislodged net and celebrates, we truly have no choice but to stan— BC Interruption (@bcinterruption) November 9, 2019
Other fun things:
- David Cotton is one point away from 100 career points!!
- Spencer Knight is good! There were many key moments where UConn could’ve cut into the lead, especially on their power plays, but Knight absolutely shut the door on all the chances
- This was Newhook’s first career multi-goal game
- Moore had a career-high three points in a game tonight
- While he didn’t get on the scoresheet tonight, Boldy was doing some cool things with the puck!
- BC went 2-for-2 on the penalty kill
BC wraps up the home-and-home series tomorrow at the XL Center in Hartford. Puck drop is scheduled for 3:30PM.