The Boston College earned a major victory on Red Bandana Night last Friday against the Miami Hurricanes. They have jumped back into all the polls, and are in charge of their own destiny in the ACC Atlantic. But standing in front of the Eagles are the Virginia Tech Hokies, a team that has beaten the Eagles three straight games, including BC’s last trip to Lane Stadium a 49-0 drumming in 2016. But this is not your father’s Virginia Tech squad. They have struggled of late, losing to Old Dominion, Notre Dame, and getting waxed by Georgia Tech 49-28. They are without Josh Jackson, their starting quarterback, and have a ton of youth on the defensive side of the ball. In Jackson’s place will be Ryan Willis, a junior who has thrown for 1300 yards 12 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Boston College earned the right to be favored in this game, but can they avoid another let down game? Let’s take a look.
Keys To Victory
- Thrash the VT front line: One of BC’s biggest achievements against Miami was the absolutely dominant play by the offensive line. All year long we have heard about how great this group was going to be, but it was this game that really showed what they are capable of. VT’s defensive line and linebackers are no where in the same league as Miami’s (who have one of the best in the country), BC’s o-line needs to dominate in the trenches, which will allow AJ Dillon to get his big runs, and open up the passing lanes for Anthony Brown.
- Prevent The Big Plays On Defense: If there is one name that BC fans should be worried about it is wide receiver Damon Hazelton. He is an electric wide out who has 8 plays this year of 25 yards or more. BC did a nice job of avoiding chunk plays against Miami, they need to do the same on Saturday
- Take Lane Stadium Out Of It Early: I think Lane Stadium’s Enter Sandman entrance is one of the coolest college football traditions. HOWEVER, I think it is much more effective when VT has a night game, as it gets that stadium really rocking. This is a 3:45 game, and just like in previous years, Lane Stadium is just an ordinary stadium in the afternoon. Take the crowd out of this early, the fans are already frustrated after VT was waxed by GT, make a few big plays and let them fester in their grief.
- Continue To Cause Turnovers: BC’s defense is good, but they certainly are suspect at times. However they mask that with an extraordinary ability to cause turnovers. Last week against Miami was a prime example, as they caused 2 interception both in big spots. BC (who is 8th in the country in takeaways), can change the complexion of this game with a few well timed turnovers.
- Play To Win THIS GAME Dammit: This was a key point last week, and honestly it should be a key point every time Steve Addazio’s team takes the field. BC again has a lot of hype going into this week, with all sorts of talk about College Gameday, winning double digit games and big bowls looming. This can not be a repeat of the Purdue game, where BC came out looking not focused, got punched in the mouth and quit. Addazio has to have this team focused for Virginia Tech, because if he doesn’t they are going to lose this game. Daz has talked this week that he is really focusing on keeping his team on task this week, let’s hope this is true.
Beer of the Week:
Damage Done- Sam Adams. I haven’t had a chance to even try this beer (which is apparently only available directly at the brewery LAAAAAMMMME), but this beer is dedicated to all you fellow Red Sox fans out there still celebrating that sweet sweet World Series victory. Cheers to the best team in Red Sox history.
Absolutely Necessary Rap Song Of The Week
Master P and No Limit Souljas- Make Em Say Uh. I couldn’t find the video version of this song, but if you watched it, Master P and his crew are in a high school gym on a giant gold tank. AJ Dillon is that giant gold tank, and the Eagles can ride that to a seventh victory, one that will make VT fans say UHHHHHHHHHHHHH
AJ’s Power of Positivity Thought Of The Week
6-2? Favorites in a game played in Blacksburg? Hell Yeah. Oh and also the defense is looking a lot better, the kids (Brandon Sebastian, Mike Palmer) are really starting to improve, and special teams hasn’t done anything horrible lately. Chalk those up as wins across the board.
Pregame Food Of The Week-
Dry Rub Wings: I have always been a fan of buffalo wings, heck they are a staple of going out and watching a football game at a bar. But I hate getting the sauce all over my hands, go ahead judge me. However, a few years ago I was up skiing at Killington Mt in Vermont and I came across dry rub wings at this kaboose style restaurant off the mountain. LIFE CHANGER. If you find a good dry rub, they make all the difference.
Staff Predictions (AJ got his third point, predicting BC’s score, but missing only Miami’s by a half dozen.
|AJ Black (3)||BC 31 VT 14|
|ERIC (1)||BC 34 VT 31||BC sneaks one out|
|Toppin||BC 21 VT 17|
|Grant (1)||BC 42, VT 17||YEAH I'M GOING HOG WILD TODAY KIDS WE'RE MAKING A STATEMENT|
|Arthur Bailin||BC 35, VT 24||Why not us?|
|Rich||VT 28 BC 24||I won't have my heart broken again.|
|CoachJF||BC 34 VT 20||Vs young and banged up Hokie team, Eagles show the #22 ranking not too big a burden to bare|
|Peter||BC 28 VT 17||VT lost to Old Dominion ... People often forget|
Prediction Poll: What do you think will happen?
What are you predicting for Saturday’s game against Virginia Tech
This poll is closed
Virginia Tech by 14+
Virginia Tech by 7-13
Virginia Tech by 1-6
Boston College by 1-6
Boston College by 7-13
Boston College by 14+
WHAT ARE YOU PREDICTING?? LEAVE YOUR PREDICTIONS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
Superfan Thermometer: 7/10.
Oh I am feeling this game big time. Sure there is the constant dread of a let down game, but I just think this game lines up perfectly for the Eagles. I just want to see the Eagles go in, exert their will, build up a lead and just get ready for Clemson. Will they do that? Who knows, but a man can dream right?
Plugs: Make sure to follow all of us on Twitter. The main site account is @BCInterruption, AJ Black is @BCHysteria, Eric Hoffses is @EJHoffses, Rich Rapp is @RichRapp, Patrick is @choppintoppin, and Grant is at @Salzano14. Follow us on Facebook for updates, and our new Instagram account is definitely a must follow as well.
Podcast: Eric and AJ returned this week, make sure to listen and please share our podcast with your family and friends!