Boston College got back in the win column with an ugly 45-35 win last weekend against the Temple Owls. This week they have a much bigger challenge facing them, as they travel to NC State to face the #23 ranked Wolfpack. This is not going to be an easy matchup for the Eagles, especially with AJ Dillon’s health status up in the air. Can the Eagles secondary contain star quarterback Ryan Finley for the second straight year, or will he torch them like other quarterbacks this year. NC State definitely looks like a team that will give the Eagles fits, but also consider that Dave Doeren’s team hasn’t really faced a legit team like BC this year. This could be a game where if BC jumps out early, they could catch NC State napping. But in order to do that, BC can’t be making the mistakes that have plagued them the past three weeks, and the defense needs to improve drastically. Certainly this is a big task, but are they up to the challenge?
Keys To Victory
- Throw On First Down: Eric Hoffses touched upon a few important stats this week, BC has ran the ball on 76% of first downs this year, that has to get closer to 50/50 if Scot Loeffler wants to keep opposing defenses honest. Let Anthony Brown make a pass on first down, especially off the play action.
- Get to Ryan Finley: Last year Finley won an ugly game against BC but really did not look like an All-ACC future NFL quarterback. BC is going to need to get pressure on him, something Finley hasn’t faced all year. Rattle him and maybe it will cover a vulnerable Boston College secondary.
- Limit Mistakes: This has been said over and over again but BC can’t have more of these brain fart moments that lead to giving up points. Grant Carlson can’t forget how to punt mid swing of his leg, they can’t give up 7 points on a kick return fumble. These things just can not happen if they want to beat a team like NC State. Will they be able to clean up these mistakes? Gosh I hope so.
- Get Off The Field On Third Down: The first three games BC played BC held oppositions to around a 23% third down completion percentage, the last two games it was 47% and 50% respectively. That isn’t going to cut it, they can’t give Ryan Finley and that offense second chances. Get off the field and let Dillon and Co. move the ball.
- Attack The Middle: NC State hasn’t really faced a strong rushing attack this year, and last year the rush was where Boston College really found success running for 4.34 yards per carry and 234 yards. If they can have that success again that would be a huge boost.
Beer of the Week:
Good N’ You: Springdale Brewing. I can’t say enough great things about Jacks Abby and their off shoot Springdale. Located in Framingham MA, this is a fantastic beer, more of a standard IPA but still really tasty. If you ever get a chance to visit the brewery I strongly recommend it, the Jack’s Abby Brewery has a large collections of lagers, while Springdale does more of experimental brews. Definitely worth a trip if you can make it to Framingham.
Absolutely Necessary Rap Song Of The Week
Eminem: Lose Yourself. If this song doesn’t make you want to run through a brick wall I don’t know what will. BC is going to need all the energy they can get, and this song delivers. Almost 15 years old, this track never gets old.
AJ’s Power of Positivity Thought Of The Week:
This team is due to bounce back. There is just too much talent on this team to roll over against a team like NC State. Sure they are ranked, sure they have arguably the best QB in the ACC, but who have the played huh? What is NC State going to do when DAZ A MANIA COMES FOR YOU? STRAP IN BROTHER!!
Check out the pretzels next wknd and tell me what you think— Martin Jarmond (@MartinJarmond) October 4, 2018
Pregame Food Of The Week-
Steak Tips: Honestly one of the most underrated tailgating foods, steak tips can be a game changer if done right. Don’t skimp out on meat, go to a butcher, and get some fresh tips, and the most important part get a good marinade. Something savory that really brings out the flavor. Finally, eat them medium or rarer, don’t eat gray steak tips. Just don’t.
Staff Predictions (Mr. Hoffses gains a point to bring up a 4 way tie at the top).
|Contributor Name||Prediction with AJ Dillon||Prediction w/o AJ Dillon|
|AJ Black (1)||NC State 35-24||NC State 38-13|
|ERIC (1)||nc state 38-24||NC State 41-17|
|Toppin||NC State 28-17||NC State 48-14|
|Grant (1)||NCSU 30-20||NCSU 33-17|
|Arthur Bailin||NCSU 37-14||NCSU 37-7|
|Rich||BC 42-38||NC State 42-28|
|Laura||BC 31-28 yolo||NC 35-21|
|CoachJF||NC State 38 BC 31||NC State 38 BC 24|
Peter: This one goes down to the wire -- BC 27 NC State 24
Prediction Poll: What do you think will happen?
BC vs. NC State: What Are You Predicting?
This poll is closed
BC by 14+
BC by 7-13
BC by 1-6
NC State by 1-6
NC State by 7-13
NC State by 14+
WHAT ARE YOU PREDICTING?? LEAVE YOUR PREDICTIONS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW
Superfan Thermometer: 2/10.
Excitement is probably not the best word to describe how we feel about this game. Nervous that AJ Dillon won’t be ready to go? Check. Nervous that the defense will not be effective? Check. Special teams blunders? Check. Predictable offensive gameplan? Check. Believe me I want all of these to magically be fixed, but until I see that happen I’m going to remain skeptical and be more nervous than excited.
Plugs: Make sure to follow all of us on Twitter. The main site account is @BCInterruption, AJ Black is @BCHysteria, Eric Hoffses is @EJHoffses, Rich Rapp is @RichRapp, Patrick is @choppintoppin, and Grant is at @Salzano14. Follow us on Facebook for updates, and our new Instagram account is definitely a must follow as well.
Podcast: Check out this week’s BCI Radio episode as AJ and Eric talk even more about NC State and BC.