Winter is here. The Boston College Eagles have now laid two eggs in a row, against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons and the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. And things are not going to get easier, as BC will be heading to Death Valley tomorrow to take on the #2 Clemson Tigers in a game where BC is a 35 point underdog. This game has the making of a disaster written all over it, but can the Eagles figure out a way to keep it close or **gulp** win? Let’s take a look.
Keys To Victory
- Continue to Improve on the Offensive Line: There was a big difference in the way the line played against Notre Dame versus the way they played against Wake Forest. Much crisper blocks, not as many missed assignments and because of that holes were open for Jon Hilliman and A.J. Dillon. They are going to need to continue to improve if they want to stand a chance against Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins and that Clemson front 7. Also.....
- Cut Down On Mistakes And Mental Errors: As Coach wrote earlier this week BC’s offense is too slow to make mistakes like they keep making. Fewer false starts, illegal formations and dropped passes are key.
- Reduce Blown Assignments On Defense: Interior defense was a disaster on Saturday as Josh Adams and Brandon Wimbush went nuts getting to the second level seemingly untouched. There were mistakes by all three defensive units, and if they want to stop Kelly Bryant these can’t happen.
- Coach Aggressively: Eric and I talked on this week’s podcast that last week we had hoped that Steve Addazio would coach like his job depended on it. He didn’t, and we saw the results. Take some chances, try some trick plays, go for it if you are in Clemson territory, and most of all, don’t coach scared.
- Score more than 21 points: Can they finally do it against an ACC team? Who knows.
Beer of the Week:
My Non-IPA Beer of the Week: Passion Weisse, Night Shift Brewery. I’m not a big fan of sour beers, but they have their times when they are needed. A game that has all the makings of a blowout would be one of those times. Definitely not a beer you would want to drink a ton of, but a nice sipping beer, that’ll make your lips pucker faster than a punt on the Clemson 41.
Absolutely Necessary Rap Song Of The Week
Future - Comin’ Out Strong. Keeping that new school flow going here, with a song that basically embodies what BC needs to do if they want to stay in this game. No weak stuff, no conservative game play, let’s make sure that when they enter Death Valley they are “Comin out Strong”.
AJ’s Power of Positivity Thought Of The Week:
The last time BC went down to Death Valley they were huge underdogs and Jeff Smith was quarterbacking, and yes they got beat, but they kept it mostly close! So that’s a positive thing!
Pregame Food Of The Week-
Kettle Popcorn: I love popcorn, it’s just a great snack, especially when it’s warm and freshly popped, but when it’s Kettle popcorn and it’s warm and flavored, forget about it. There is a place down the street from me called Hobbs at the Salem Willows, that stuff should be classified as a controlled substance it is so addictive.
Fire up that BCI Prediction Machine: Yours truly picks up his first win of the season, coming the closest with a 45-10 prediction.
Coach JF (2): Notre Dame 30 BC 13
Matt O (1):
AJ Black (1): 55- 10 Clemson. This is going to be ugly.
Grant: 59-0 Clemson oof
Arthur B: 60-0 Only drama in game is if Dabo decided to take it easy at halftime.
Eric H: Clemson 44-10
Michael Gualtieri: 42-7 Clemson
Patrick T: No faith here. BC covers the spread but loses 45-13, Addazio declares moral victory.
BC Superfan Thermometer: 1/10
It’s safe to say we all basically feel like this now.
Like our scalding hot sports takes? Follow us on social media!