College football moves to the hallowed grounds of Fenway Park for a game against the University of Connecticut Huskies. This game marks the 3,000th non baseball event in the last five years at Fenway, a milestone that surely will be commemorated during the game. Randy Edsall, is back at the helm in Storrs, returning after being fired from Maryland, a program he left in tip top shape. What is there to say about the Huskies? They aren’t very good, running up a 3-7 record, and a historically bad defense. How bad are they? As our writer Grant pointed out over on the UConn blog, “(UConn) allows 375 passing yards per game. 2nd worst is 305 yards. That's nuts. You guys are nearly 6 standard deviations above the mean in passing yards, and nearly two full standard deviations worse than the second worst team. Good Lord.” But, I’m sure a lot of you are nervous for some reason, so go ahead and fret. BC is going to spank this team.
Keys To Victory
- Remember the time of the game: If BC forgets to set their alarm and shows up at 8, I still think they would beat the Huskies, but at least it would be close.
- Avoid Team Wide Food Poisoning: Keep the team away from the Cleveland Circle Chipotle. Though even with severe team wide bowel distress, I could still see AJ Dillon running for 250 yards.
- KILL THEM WITH AJ DILLON (but get him out of there as soon as you can): UConn has a bad defense, and their rushing defense is a putrid 79th in the country. I seriously doubt that their front line will be able to do anything with the front of BC, and AJ Dillon should have holes big enough to drive a Mack Truck through. Get a big early lead and hopefully the second half will be a heavy dose of Jon Hilliman and Richard Wilson.
- Pressure David Pindell all game long: Last year BC forced the Huskies into four turnovers (3 INTs and a fumble) to easily put the game out of hand. If Zach Allen, Wyatt Ray, and Harold Landry (if he plays) can get to the QB without having to send extra blitzers there won’t be much the Huskies on offense.
- Use Play Action Effectively: UConn’s pass defense is far and away the worst in the country. Darius Wade, while struggling in his recent showings, should find success, and he should try to find it in the short and underneath stuff off the play action. UConn is going to key in on Dillon and cheat in with extra guys in the box. Get Tommy Sweeney and Ray Marten in the flat and there should be some solid opportunities there.
My Non-IPA Beer of the Week:
Anderson Valley- Winter Solstice Seasonal Ale. I found this jewel at Total Wine, a place not wise to go to if you have money in your bank account. There is something nostalgic about winter beers, gets you in the mood for the season. This was a solid one, and I’d recommend it.
Absolutely Necessary Rap Song Of The Week
Snoop Dogg- Murder was the Case. This is a song dedicated to what BC is going to do to UConn on both sides of the ball.
AJ’s Power of Positivity Thought Of The Week:
An easy game against a bad team is a good way to get the ball rolling again, get the bowl bid secured, and get the offense on the right foot for what could be a huge game against Syracuse next weekend.
Pregame Food Of The Week-
Sausage, Peppers And Onions: If you are by Fenway Park and need a quick bite to eat you gotta find a vendor and grab a sandwich. Chichi’s is usually floating around there, and BC alum know he is the king
Prediction Thread: Laura gets on the board being the only writer to pick BC to easily beat FSU last week
Coach JF (4): NO PREDICTION
AJ Black (3) 45-10 BC. My juju went haywire last week as BC lost almost on the dot with my prediction.
Matt O (2): 31-10 BC
Laura (1): BC 31 UConn 7, but Jonathan the Husky wins for best mascot sorry Baldwin. (editorial note: This is a lie, Uga Is the best mascot)
Arthur B (1): 14-0 Iggles. I'm very concerned about the quarterback position, but the run game should make that a moot point.
Eric H (1): BC 27 UConn 7
Mike G (1): 28-7 BC
Grant: BC 48 UConn 10
Patrick: 42-9 BC
Superfan Thermometer: 2/10
I hate UConn, I don’t know if I have made that clear. I hope this game is a blowout, but in terms of excitement? Yay, it’s a game at Fenway, otherwise I couldn’t care less.
Like our scalding hot sports takes? Follow us on social media!