Boston College has been en fuego over the past month, but unfortunately the dreaded BYE WEEK has hit, can Steve Addazio keep the team focuses and maintain the momentum from before the break? N.C. State comes in at #23 in the country, and could be Steve Addazio’s second win against a ranked opponent since taking over at the Heights. NCSU is coming off two consecutive losses against ranked opponents, losing both to the Clemson Tigers and Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Dave Doeren has himself an elite quarterback in Ryan Finley, a dynamic running back in Jaylen Samuels and Nyheim Hines and possibly the best defensive player in the country in Bradley Chubb. This is not going to be an easy game, but can the Eagles do it again?
Keys To Victory
- Establish Tommy Sweeney early: The key to getting A.J Dillon and Jon Hilliman going will be making NC State be honest about stacking the box. Anthony Brown has been his most successful when he gets the ball to Sweeney early and often. Get him some early touches and holes will open up for the running game.
- Get To Ryan Finley: Last year against the Wolfpack BC was able to apply pressure and get two sacks, also forcing Finley to throw two interceptions including the one in the end zone that sealed the game. He’s a pro style quarterback which is exactly the type of QB this defense plays best against. Good defense by the corners could force some coverage sacks, especially with the talent BC has up front.
- Limit Yards After Contact For Samuels/Hines: BC was gashed against Louisville, Notre Dame, Clemson and Wake Forest with yards after initial contact. BC needs to make sure to make those initial hits and limit those yards after hits.
- Contain Bradley Chubb: With the improved play by the line, BC has kept Anthony Brown relatively clean over the win streak. Chubb is a monster, possibly even more talented than Harold Landry. The Eagles can not allow him to push around their line, so Daz will have to make sure he brings in Ray Marten as an extra blocker, or go oversized when needed.
- Keep Playing Aggressive: Scot Loeffler’s fully realized offensive scheme has left three straight defenses licking their wounds. The plays have been innovative, fresh and hard to predict. Keep that up, but I have to say as well, if BC continues to get 6-8 yards on a run, jam it down their throats.
My Non-IPA Beer of the Week:
Riverwalk a new-ish brewery out of Newburyport, MA has created a nice smooth porter for the holiday season. The vanilla isn’t too strong, and the flavor is outstanding. Wanted to go with a heavier beer for this week as it is going to be close to freezing at kickoff.
Absolutely Necessary Rap Song Of The Week
Wu Tang Clan Ain’t Nothin’ To F’ Wit: It’s the 25th anniversary of Enter the 36 Chambers, easily one of the best rap albums of all time. This song I’m dedicating to the Boston College offense, which certainly has become something you don’t want to f’ wit.
AJ’s Power of Positivity Thought Of The Week:
Three in a row! Boston College has actually won three games in a row against ACC teams. And they have done it scoring 30+ points in every game. My mind is literally blown.
Pregame Food Of The Week-
Buffalo Mac And Cheese. Let’s continue on our road into congestive heart failure with this meeting of two utterly delicious foods. Throw some buffalo chicken into a pot of homemade mac and cheese and ooooh baby you have a tailgating food fit for a cold New England morning.
Prediction Thread: Laura gets on the board being the only writer to pick BC to easily beat FSU last week
Coach JF (4): BC 30 NC State 27. BC comes in rested and ready and NC State loses a lot of their juice between cold weather and their last two big games vs ND and Clemson.
Matt O (2): 24-20 BC
AJ Black (2): 27-20 NC State. I am going to keep picking against BC until they lose, it has worked the last three weeks. Hope this mojo continues.
Laura (1): No Prediction
Arthur B (1): 27-14 Birds
Eric H (1): NC State 27 BC 24
Mike G (1): No Prediction
Grant: BC 27-20 . See y'all in the Bronx
Patrick: 45-30 BC
Superfan Thermometer: 8/10
(I know Ric Flair lived in/spends a lot of time in North Carolina, don’t at me. That 30 for 30 was the best)
NC State is ranked, we should be really amped for this matchup which could easily be the most important game of the remainder of the season. But it’s a noon start, on a freezing day, so that lessens the excitement a little....for some, not me.
Like our scalding hot sports takes? Follow us on social media!
BCInterruption/A.J Black/Eric Hoffses/Patrick Toppin/Grant Salzano/Arthur Bailin/Laura B/Matt O’Neil