Some BC favorite are on the move following the opening weekend of NHL free agency - here's what has happened so far:
- Patrick Eaves signed a one year deal with the Dallas Stars. Eaves has spent the past 2 seasons with Dallas and despite continuing to be somewhat injury prone, he has made himself an offensive presence when it counts. His 1-year deal will earn him $1 million. Eaves has previously played for Nashville, Carolina, Detroit, and Ottawa.
- Ian McCoshen officially signed with the Panthers. Although this has been common knowledge for a while, the Panthers didn't announce it themselves until Friday. McCoshen signed a 3-year ELC with the team.
- Following some speculation that he was heading abroad to play, Nathan Gerbe signed with the New York Rangers. Gerbe signed a one-year deal with the Rangers for $600,000. This short but gritty BC favorite has previously played for the Carolina Panthers and the Buffalo Sabres.
- Tommy Cross will stay with the Bruins organization after signing a two-way deal. His one-year deal is worth $600,000 at the NHL level. Cross played the first NHL games of his career last season. He has been an important member of the Providence Bruins since joining the team out of BC, and last year was their captain.
- Philip Samuelsson signed with the Montreal Canadiens. Samuelsson spent the past two seasons in the Arizona organization and previously was part of Pittsburgh's organization. He has split time between the AHL and NHL and signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Habs. His contract will pay $600,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 at the AHL level.
- Joe Whitney, whose season was cut short following a broken leg, signed with San Antonio. Whitney signed a 1-year contract with San Antonio.