You can check out a recap of Round 1 here.
Dallas vs. St. Louis
Patrick Eaves plays for Dallas, and he had a great first round. Peter Harrold saw some action for the St. Louis Blues this year, but he's mostly been in the AHL and hasn't seen any playoff action. Root for Dallas to win this series so Patrick Eaves can get closer to winning the Stanley Cup.
Nashville vs. San Jose
Root for San Jose.
There are no BC alumni on either team or on any of their minor league affiliates. Neither team has drafted a BC player. Both teams have BU alumni, so you can't even root against BU. We'll be rooting for San Jose because friends of BCI are big Sharks fans, so that's what we would counsel you to do.
Tampa Bay vs. New York Islanders
Root for Tampa Bay.
Brian Boyle plays for Tampa Bay and has seen significant ice time during the playoffs. Joe Whitney and Parker Milner play for the Islanders' minor league affiliates, but neither has seen NHL playing time this year. Marty Reasoner also works for the Islanders in a player development capacity. Even though New York has more BC connections, Boyle actually plays for Tampa and could win the cup if Tampa wins, so they're a better choice for BC fans. Us at BCI are also partial to Tampa because they host a great Frozen Four.
Washington vs. Pittsburgh
Root for Washington.
Two great BC defensemen are involved in this series: Brooks Orpik plays for Washington, while Brian Dumoulin plays for Pittsburgh. Washington has a slight edge - Paul Carey plays for their AHL affiliate and played a few games in the NHL this season. Washington also has the rights to Zach Sanford. Bill Guerin is an assistant GM for the Penguins, but players hold more weight in my rooting guide. Either way, you can't really go wrong in this series as a BC fan.
- Paul Carey's Bears are currently playing Mike Matheson's Pirates for a spot in Round 2. Carey is injured, but Matheson just returned to the Pirates from Florida. So either way BC wins, but a Portland win is better.
- Ben Smith's Toronto Marlies take on Joe Whitney & Parker Milner's Bridgeport Sound Tigers tonight and will head to round 2 if they win. Whitney is injured and Milner would likely return to his ECHL team if Bridgeport loses, so a Toronto win is good for BC fans.
- The Missouri Mavericks are playing the Allen Americans in Round 2. Parker Milner shared the starting goalie spot on the Mavs this season, and he could return to the team from Bridgeport if Bridgeport is eliminated. Missouri is favored to win the Kelly Cup.
- Barry Almeida's Utah Grizzlies have made it to Round 2 and will play the Fort Wayne Komets.
- Patch Alber's Adirondack Thunder are playing the South Carolina Stingrays in Round 2.