Some 112 years after the first bowl game was played, college football will finally usher in a new era with the first four-team playoff in history.
The schedule has the Rose Bowl Game, in its traditional 5:00 PM Eastern time slot, featuring #2 Oregon (12-1) with the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, Marcus Mariota, against last year's winner, Jameis Winston and #3 Florida State (13-0). Following the Rose Bowl, at 8:30 PM Eastern, #1 Alabama (12-1) and their Heisman finalist, Amari Cooper will face Urban Meyer's third string quarterback, Cardale Jones and #4 Ohio State (12-1) in the Sugar Bowl.
Who will win? Will the game live up to the hype? The BCI staff brings out their crystal balls and these predictions.
- Oregon 34 Florida State 27
- Ohio State 42 Alabama 38
- Oregon 45 Florida State 21 - Jameis has a slow start and the "second half team" concept doesn't really work against the Ducks. Plus, do we really think I'm picking FSU?
- Alabama 24 Ohio State 17 - Smash mouth football at its finest.
- Oregon 41 Florida State 21
- Alabama 30 Ohio State 20
- Florida State 34 Oregon 33
- Alabama 38 Ohio State 14
- Florida State 35 Oregon 31 - The 'Noles finally put it all together. Jameis gets time to throw and the Ifo Ekpre-Olomu injury turns into a more important factor than anticipated. Doesn't mean I am happy with the result.
- Alabama 28 Ohio State 17 - Even with nearly four weeks to prepare, can Urban Meyer really use a third string QB to beat Nick Saban? Did you know that Buckeye All-America defensive end Joey Bosa's dad, John, was a D-end at BC? Unfortunately, his Mom went to Ohio State...damn it all!