With yesterday's discussion about the depth -- or lack thereof -- in the secondary following Al Louis-Jean's foot injury, I thought it'd be a good time to look at Boston College's 85-man scholarship roster. There have been fans that remain skeptical of Spaz's method of under recruiting, wanting the program to max out at 85 scholarships instead of banking a few as rewards for walk-ons and late recruiting.
This is unofficial, as Boston College doesn't release this information.
Assumed Non-Scholarship Players:
-- Seniors (3) - Mike Javorski (RB), Joe LaCorte (WR), Sean Flaherty (LS)
-- Juniors (1) - Patrick Bowler (LB)
-- Sophomores (9) - Shane Cranmore (QB), Paul Maglio (RB), Jeffrey Jay (WR), Griff Rogan (WR), C.J. Parsons (TE), Connor Galligan (LB), Carmen Dello Iacono (DB), Ted Davenport (DB), Matt Murphy (DL)
-- RS Freshmen (2) - Zach Wolfe (RB), Joey Launceford (K)
-- Freshmen (6) - Steven Flynn (QB), Austin Lommen (QB), Anthony Caruso (LB), Michael Gaffney (LB), Leonard Skubal (LS), Jake Wilhelm (K)
- 81 scholarship players sounds about right to me. Maybe that's 1-2 higher than reality, considering Spaz admitted that we were below the limit back in December, before Montel Harris was booted from the team and Momah lost his appeal with the NCAA for a sixth year of eligibility.
- With both Marscovetra and Shinskie with only one year to go, it makes sense that the program is bringing in both Tim Boyle and Mackay Lowrie in the Class of 2013.
- The offensive line is heavy on sophomores and freshmen. As a result, we may see smaller OL classes in 2013 and 2014. Of the 16 recruits in the current class, the Eagles have yet to land an offensive lineman.
- With Murray, Quinn and Ramsey all seniors, you can see where there'll be a gap at the defensive tackle position in coming years. Harrison, Ohio DT Truman Gutapfel is currently the only player in the Class of 2013 recruited at DT.
- Penn State players would not have counted against the NCAA max 85 scholarships, which makes the fact that BC didn't land any former Nittany Lion players that more disappointing considering the program is well under the 85-man cap.
- Again, as a note this is an unofficial list. I figured we could crowd source this a bit so if you have any more information on this -- players that should be on the list or off it -- chime in in the comments section.