It's Christmas in February! National Signing Day. Keep it here throughout the day for news on Boston College football's Class of 2012. Below is a primer for the day's activities. Use this as an open thread to discuss the class, breaking BC recruiting news or whatever else is on your mind.
Also be sure to follow BCI on Twitter.
The BC Interruption crew will do its best to give you blow-by-blow coverage of the day's proceedings in an attempt to cover NSD from wall-to-wall, you know, between our real jobs and other responsibilities. We'll have commitment profiles throughout the day, this here open thread and a recap at the end of the day.
Now, unlike other schools whose fans end up glued to a webcam of a fax machine, Boston College football keeps it casual on National Signing Day. There are really only a couple of events to keep your eyes out for during the day.
1. Chandler, Az. DT Jaxon Hood will announce his decision on Fox Sports Arizona's webcast at approx. 10:20 AM Pacific / 1:20 PM Eastern. Hood verbally committed to the Eagles back in December, but has since re-opened his commitment and is deciding between BC, Arizona and Arizona State. As one of the few recruits on the defensive line, Jaxon is an important recruit for the Eagles class. The timing, however, is sort of awkward ... considering ...
2. Boston College coach Frank Spaziani will hold the program's National Signing Day press conference starting at 1 PM Eastern from the Yawkey Center. I'm assuming the school will make it a thing -- maybe? -- and have a streaming webcast of the press conference. If there is one, we'll throw up the link to the feed. There, Spaz will announce the signing of the Class of 2012.
Some things we are keeping an eye on.
1. Will Hood commit? I have no idea, but if I had to guess, my guess is Superfans will end up disappointed in Hood's choice of college. While I have zero inside knowledge of the situation, and could end up being horribly, horribly wrong on this one, if I had to pick, I'd say Hood will end up at Arizona State. His older brother, Tevan, recently announced he's transferring from San Diego to Arizona.
2. Who else? Anyone else? Will Spaz and the coaching staff end up securing any more last minute commitments for the Class of 2012? Right now the Eagles have 15 solid verbals and a soft verbal from Hood. If Spaz and GDF are on the same page, I'd hope BC ends up with 2-3 more recruits to round out the class.
3. Where will BC's class rank in the ACC? Programs love to puff our their chests when the final results are in and the incoming class is deemed the best in the nation. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm interested in seeing where BC's class ranks among the rest of the conference. Right now, the trend is not positive. BC currently has the 11th best class in the conference according to Rivals and Scout. Dead last according to ESPN. And 247 Sports already factors in Syracuse and Pitt for whatever reason, and there, BC ranks 13th of 14th. Looks like the Eagles competition for this year's conference recruiting basement is Duke, Wake Forest or Georgia Tech, depending on who you ask. The good news is that if BC's class ranks last this year, that means BC gets the number 1 overall draft pick the following year, right? No.
Here's a look at this year's Boston College recruiting class as of Tuesday night, ranked in order by commitment date. Leave your thoughts on the class below.
Welcome to the Heights, Class of 2012!
|1||Win Homer||OL||Christchurch, VA||6-5||245||4||3||3||3||5/27/2011|
|2||Frank Taylor||OL||Warminster, PA||6-3||285||3||3||4||3||6/8/2011|
|3||Tim Joy||LB||North Chelmsford, MA||6-2||215||3||2||2||2||6/26/2011|
|4||Jim Cashman||OL||Haddonfield, NJ||6-7||275||3||3||3||3||6/27/2011|
|5||Malachi Moore||DE||Sparta, NJ||6-6||240||2||2||NR||3||6/28/2011|
|6||Harrison Jackson||WR||Purcellville, VA||6-2||181||2||3||2||2||6/29/2011|
|7||Dan Crimmins||ATH||Demarest, NJ||6-5||220||3||3||3||3||7/1/2011|
|8||Joel Zoungrana||WR||Montreal, PQ||6-0||183||2||3||2||2||7/7/2011|
|9||Mike Strizak||LB||Ramsey, NJ||6-2||228||3||3||3||3||7/18/2011|
|10||Justin Simmons||DB||Stuart, FL||6-3||175||3||2||2||2||7/19/2011|
|11||Steven Daniels||LB||Worcester, MA||6-0||225||4||3||3||3||9/7/2011|
|12||Bobby Wolford||LB||Jacksonville, FL||6-3||232||3||3||3||3||11/15/2011|
|13||Bryce Jones||DB||Cleveland Heights, OH||5-11||160||2||2||NR||2||1/23/2012|
|14||David Dudeck||ATH||Princeton, NJ||6-0||195||2||NR||2||NR||1/31/2012|
|15||Michael Giacone||TE||Jersey City, NJ||6-5||246||3||3||3||3||1/31/2012|
|16||Leonard Skubal||LS||Fort Lauderdale, FL||5-11||205||NR||NR||NR||NR||1/28/2012|