On Friday, Boston College running back Montel Harris was named to the 2011 Doak Walker Award preseason watch list. In addition, the senior RB was also named to the Maxwell Award watch list earlier this month, given by the Maxwell Football Club to the best player in college football.
More on the Doak Walker Award:
"The prestigious Doak Walker Award was created in 1989 to recognize the nation's premier running back for his accomplishments on the field, achievement in the classroom and citizenship in the community. It is the only major collegiate football award that requires all candidates to be in good academic standing and on schedule to graduate within one year of other students of the same classification."
Last year, it was Oregon's LaMichael James that took home the hardware. First awarded in 1990, no ACC player has won the award's 21 year existence. Other ACC running backs named to the Doak Walker Award watch list are: Clemson's Andre Ellington (Jr.), Maryland's Davin Meggett (Sr.), Miami's Lamar Miller (So.) and Virginia Tech's David Wilson (Jr.). Notre Dame's Cierre Wood also made the list. This gives Harris plenty of opportunities to showcase his skills opposite some of the nation's best.
Harris also enters this season poised to break nearly every school career rushing record, including the rushing yardage record and rushing touchdowns records. Harris already owns the school record for career rushing attempts (756), rushing attempts, yards and touchdowns in a game (41 for 264 and 5 TDs vs. N.C. State) and career 100-yard rushing games (21). Oh, and the class rushing records for yards and attempts during his freshman and sophomore seasons, and the class rushing record for attempts as a junior.
If that wasn't enough, Harris is also in position to break the ACC's all-time rushing record, a record that has stood for 33 seasons. Harris, the ACC's active rushing yards leader, needs just 1,003 yards to become the ACC's all-time rushing leader.
After the jump, a look at two more BC records that Montel could break this season.
Boston College Career Rushing Yardage Leaders
Player (Years) - Yards - Harris Trails By
1. Derrick Knight (2000-03) -- 3,725 (125)
2. Montel Harris (2008-present) -- 3,600
3. Mike Cloud (1995-98) -- 3,597
4. Troy Stradford (1982-86) -- 3,504
5. William Green (1999-2001) -- 2,974
6. Andre Callender (2004-07) -- 2,971
7. Mike Esposito (1972-74) -- 2,759
8. L.V. Whitworth (2004-07) -- 2,576
9. Keith Barnette (1973-75) -- 2,500
10. Omari Walker (1994-97) -- 2,471
Boston College Career Rushing Touchdown Leaders
Player (Years) - TDs - Harris Trails By
1. Keith Barnette (1973-75) -- 34 (7)
2. William Green (1999-2001) -- 33 (6)
3. Darnell Campbell (1991-93) -- 27 (0)
3. Troy Stradford (1982-86) -- 27 (0)
3. Montel Harris (2008-present) -- 27
6. Derrick Knight (2000-03) -- 25
7. Mike Cloud (1995-98) -- 25
8. Mike Esposito (1972-74) -- 24
9. Mike Holovak (1940-42) -- 23
10. Dan Conway (1976-79) -- 21