ESPN The Ocho may never become a reality, but the BC Interruption Hate Index The Ocho is very, very real.
Last Week's Relegation: 2011 BC home football schedule -- The football schedule nearly reached Hate Index Hall of Fame status, staying on the list for seven weeks before getting relegated. Make no mistake though, the home football schedule is still pretty awful. If you need one final reminder about just how bad the schedule is, look no further than this ad:
Let's lighten up the mood a bit this week. This week's non-Stephen Colbert-approved Hate list graphic has been replaced by a picture of some kittens (for waterwater).
Look, kittens! (via London looks)
- Neighbors (7 consecutive weeks) -- "Two hour long tailgates, cops everywhere during football games, limiting expansion of the BC campus. Almost all of this can be blamed on regulations that the residents demanded. BC has been around since 1863, so they knew what they were getting into when they moved into a college community. Yet here they are, in 2011 still complaining about everything from parking garages to new baseball fields to tailgates." (via @BCHysteria).
- Boston University (8) -- Damn, remember Urban Dictionary? Let's bring this back as it's one damn fine source of hate: "Students at Boston University think they have a rivalry with us, but this is impossible because they don't have any sports teams. These BU students likely hate on BC and make comparisons to our school because of rampant feelings of inferiority circulating throughout their "campus". The students at BU pay the same tuition as the students at BC, however this does not make them our equals; the BU students are inferior to BC students in almost every way (namely intelligence, appearance, athleticism, and personality)."
- Notre Dame Students (3) -- "Students at Notre Dame, a very similar university, put too much faith in Notre Dame's slightly better rank on most lists of the top academic schools, and now are stuck in the middle of a corn field with nothing better to do then hate on BC." More from Urban Dictionary.
- Jim Calhoun (8) -- Calhoun was invited back to Massachusetts this week to give the keynote address to the Dedham High graduating class, a school he coached at for two years. A severe weather pattern of rain and lightning had other plans. Instead of addressing ~500 people, Calhoun addressed only a few dozen people circled around him. Coincidence?
- Bill Simmons (5) -- Check out the New York Times Magazine feature on Bill Simmons the magazine published over the weekend. Or don't. Either way, be sure to check out this picture of the fan boy circa 1985. Believe it or not, a guy who has been taking pot shots at BC for all these years used to be an Eagles fan boy ... Hat tip to ACC Sports for finding this gem.
- Caulton Tudor (4) -- There should be another Tumblr site dedicated to BC and ACC expansion digs from this guy ... TELL US HOW YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT ACC EXPANSION, Mr. Tudor:
"At the end of the turmoil, the ACC wound up a weaker basketball conference, roughly the same in football and with a baseball "championship" tournament that prohibits four teams every year from even competing.
The per-team television income remained about the same as when the ACC had nine members, and those all-important football championship games have done nothing whatsoever to create any sort of national interest or prestige."
If by "roughly the same in football" you mean "Dear god, thank you Virginia Tech from saving ACC football from becoming the Sun Belt these past few years" then yeah, I agree with you.
- Having to Graduate (2) -- [Edited from "Graduating from Boston College."] "Now that senior week is over, and all of the hooplah surrounding your commencement is over, it's time to get ready for the real world. No more Wednesday Night Trivia at Mary Ann's, now it's time for business meetings until 9pm. No more eating at Lower and the Eagle's Nest, now it's time for cooking for yourself 7x a week. And 9 out of 10 of you will end up where you started, living at home with your parents." (via @BCHysteria).
- This Week's Addition: The Hate Index (1) -- waterwater, the doctor is in. Please tell us what ails you, good sir: "It's confusing, really not very current or timely about BC sports ... and, sorry to say, sorta stupid (who cares to see Bill ‘deuche' Simmons name week to week; who cares a wit about Calhoun). You guys are too smart and clever to keep up this. I think this probably started as a fun idea, but it has run its course and run out of steam. idea: put the Hate Index itself in the voting. see if there are other haters of hate." I mean, you expected more? This is a derivative of a West Virginia University blog post, after all.
As a reminder, please add your nominations for the vacated spot in the comments (and/or add better descriptions for the index members you truly despise). The best submission(s) each week will be featured in next week's Hate Index.