It's only fitting that the Hate Index returned just in time for a hockey game against Boston U., a basketball game against Holy Cross, another hockey game against Notre Dame and a football game, also out in South Bend.
Let the hate flow. Feels good, doesn't it?
Last Week's Relegation: "Golden Eagles" (4) -- At 3-7 (2-5 ACC), you can go right ahead and call the Boston College sports teams whatever you want, I suppose. Doesn't help that the actual "Golden Eagles" are ranked in this week's Top 25 while the Boston College Eagles are gonna get pasted by ND this week.
On to this week's list.
- Boston University (14 consecutive weeks) -- Salzano14 explains ...
"Despite the awful outcome, we can thank the sweet baby Jesus that, at the very least, BU's students are the biggest tools on the planet, and no matter what happens on the ice, we will still have them to laugh at. Credit to them for going old-school, whipping out such classics as "Not In Boston" and "Sunday School" on a regular basis."
- Neighbors (13) -- Because they aren't going anywhere, and neither are we.
- Jim Calhoun (14) -- Last week The Wall Street Journal published an NBA Fan's Guide to College Basketball, perfectly summing up this year's UConn squad:
If you loved: The Jail Blazers
You'll like: No. 4 Connecticut
Yes, UConn is the defending national champion. But the program's off-the-court reputation recalls a less-successful team: the early 2000s Trail Blazers, better known as the Jail Blazers. Connecticut hasn't taken the comparison to such extremes, but coach Jim Calhoun will serve a three-game suspension in Big East play for rules violations, and UConn lost two scholarships because of its Academic Progress Rate performance.
- Notre Dame students (9) -- As summed up by this tool ... "Well the preferred terminology is "Nerdy Douchebag" as in N.D. ..."
- UConn (3) -- Did you know that the UConn Huskies can still technically win the Big East this year in football? No joke.
Connecticut is mathematically still alive for the Big East title, but is in the weakest position because currently, its two wins in Big East play have come against the two teams that cannot win the league: Syracuse and South Florida. That being the case, this is what UConn needs to happen:
-- Connecticut must win out and finish 5-2 in Big East play. Any loss against the remaining three teams puts them at best tied with a team that beat them. If it does win out over Louisville, Rutgers, and Cincinnati.
-- Cincinnati to have lost another game either to Rutgers or Syracuse
-- West Virginia to lose to South Florida
-- Pittsburgh to lose to Syracuse
Meanwhile, down in South Florida, Orange Bowl Chief Executive Eric Poms sits curled in the fetal position, gently sobbing, rocking himself back and forth and muttering to himself "Pitt will beat Syracuse ... Pitt will beat Syracuse ..."
So glad we left this conference.
- Bill Simmons (11) -- Boston College hoops faces Holy Cross this Friday, so now is as good a time as any to break out a classic Simmons BC-HC quote (via Bill Simmons Versus BC):
"7. You know how Greg Oden is taking History of Rock and Roll right now? Well, Holy Cross has that class too, but why stop there? We need to make other additions to to our 2008 curriculum: Plagiarizing Other People's Fiction, "The Hills" vs. "Laguna Beach," Gum, Madden NFL 08 and BC's Greatest Gambling Fixes."
- Spazball (2) -- Spazball justified its spot on the BC Interruption Hate Index list with the Eagles' second half offensive performance against the Wolfpack. See also:
BC drive: 3 plays -1 yards, 00:00 BC PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays 0 yards, 01:06 BC PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays 2 yards, 01:34 BC PUNT
BC drive: 6 plays -3 yards, 03:49 BC PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays 8 yards, 02:16 BC PUNT
BC drive: 2 plays -3 yards, 01:10 END OF GAME
Or Boston College's first half performance against Florida State:
BC drive: 3 plays 9 yards, 02:03 BOSTCOLL PUNT
BC drive: 2 plays 0 yards, 00:42 BOSTCOLL FUMB
BC drive: 3 plays 6 yards, 02:15 BOSTCOLL PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays -11 yards, 02:05 BOSTCOLL PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays -3 yards, 01:31 BOSTCOLL PUNT
BC drive: 3 plays 8 yards, 01:59 BOSTCOLL PUNT
BC drive: 9 plays 74 yards, 04:08 BOSTCOLL FUMB
Need I go on?
- This Week's Addition: Big East media shills (1) -- All of them. Every single one of them. CSOM_97 explains:
"justifying additions of Boise State, Houston, SMU, and UCF to Big East while continuing to assert BC's move to the ACC was terrible and that BC doesn't fit in the ACC."
"We think that this was a solid addition to this week's Hate Index." #BlaudsTweets
As a reminder, please add your nominations for the vacated spot in the comments (and/or add better descriptions for the index members you truly despise). The best submission(s) each week will be featured in next week's Hate Index. Please hate responsibly.