Yes, Kent State is a bad MAC team.
Yes, Rhode Island was beat by UMass by more points than we beat the Rams.
Yes, Notre Dame's offense is terrible. Not to mention heads are beginning to roll in South Bend.
But the Boston College defense has now registered 3 shutouts on the season, an impressive feat.
To put this in perspective:
- The shutout to Notre Dame was the first Eagles shutout against a BCS conference opponent since 1995, also a 17-0 home win against Pittsburgh in October
- The last two seasons BC recorded more than one shutout were 2006 (Maine 22-0 and Buffalo 44-0) and 1992
- In 1992, the team actually put together three consecutive shutouts - Northwestern 49-0, Navy 28-0, and Michigan State 14-0 - all at home in September of that season
- BC hasn't been shutout in 10 seasons, a span of 128 games
- Bad things come in twos for the Irish - Notre Dame was shutout twice in last year's terrible 2007 season - 38-0 in Ann Arbor and 38-0 at home to Southern Cal. In 2003, the Irish were shutout by both Michigan on the road and Florida State at home. If I was a betting man, my guess is Notre Dame will be shutout again this year before it's all said and done.