Jeff: Well at least the weekend got a lot better for you last night when the Giants beat the Patriots!
Brian: I had a good feeling about this game on Friday and an even better on about the game on Sunday. A great game overall, a dominant performance by the Giants front 7. In my eyes, this was history repeating itself. Many parallels to Super Bowl XXXVI between the Rams and the Patriots.
- Rams came into the game with a record breaking offense - "The Greatest Show on Turf."
- Heavily favored to win the game and very confident (14 point favorites).
- No one really gave the Patriots a chance to win.
- They were up against NFL MVP Kurt Warner.
- The Patriots weren't even expected to get to the Super Bowl, having lost the first two games of their season.
- A game-winning drive by a young QB.
- And then the improbable happened, a 3 point upset victory in the Super Bowl.
Jeff, your thoughts?
Jeff: Why wasn't David Tyree MVP?
Brian: I thought for a while that Justin Tuck was going to be named MVP. 6 tackles (5 solo), 2 sacks. Absolutely dominated BC Guy Dan Koppen and the Pats offensive line. But I can't disagree with Eli being named MVP. Eli escaping what was to be a sure sack made that sick Tyree catch possible.
Jeff: Well Tyree picked a good time to have his first TD of the season and then the sick catch was exactly that. But would you agree or disagree that prior to the fourth quarter, that game was perhaps going to go down as one of the worst and most boring Super Bowls ever? I mean the Patriots came in with the "greatest team and offense of all time" and stunk it up. Yes the Giants played well but they had turnovers that the Pats still couldn't do anything with. Brady looked not only not like an MVP but just not very good. I was rather bored with the game until the fourth quarter. I mean there were only 2 possessions in the 1st quarter! A Super Bowl record.
Brian: The game was somewhat boring, more gut wrenching than anything if you were a fan of either team. But I think this proves that defense does win championships. As an aside, the commercials absolutely stunk!
Anyhow, congratulations are in order to BC Guys Tom Coughlin, Chris Snee, Mathias Kiwanuka and Big Blue!