Welcome to BC Interruption - SB Nation's home for all things Boston College. Here are some of the things we expect you to keep in mind as a member and participant of the BC Interruption community.
Should you have any questions about your behavior or the behavior of others, please refer back to this list of guidelines. But remember, these aren't hard-and-fast rules that we use as a way to censor you in case you happen to "slip up." Instead, these are simply menat to serve as guiding principles regarding proper conduct on the site. Please follow these to the best of your abilities as a way to ensure that everyone enjoys their time spent at BC Interruption.
1. Stay on topic: Remember this is a Boston College Eagles blog. The topics relate primarily to Boston College athletics, the ACC, Hockey East and events related to any of these programs and conferences. Please try to keep the stuff relating to politics or religion elsewhere unless it relates back to the current subject of the post in question.
2. Feel free to contribute: One of the many advantages of SB Nation is the fact that it allows for greater user interaction through FanPosts, FanShots and the comments section. As editors, we'd love to see you contribute to the community as often as you like. We value your opinions on all topics (to a point, see #1) and are always interested in hearing your thoughts no matter how far-fetched it may seem.
3. Contribute responsibly: While we want to hear your opinion and love to read your contributions, we do ask that you keep a few things in mind. For starters, we aim to promote an atmosphere that encourages a thoughtful analysis of Boston College athletics. When you write a FanPost or a FanShot, the goal should be to enhance the conversation.
Some best practices for posting FanPosts or FanShots:
-- FanPosts need to be more than one line. In fact, they should be more than one paragraph or at least 75 words.
-- FanPost entries need to deal with something of substance.
-- DO NO CUT AND PASTE ENTIRE ARTICLE.
-- Make sure to link to any article on the web that you want to quote. We want to give everyone their due.
-- If you are going to excerpt content from another source please provide a link or a specific citation.
-- Do not post subscription based content from another source without permission.
-- If you post pictures/images please provide either a link or citation to where you got the picture from
-- Before posting excerpt of an article, a link or bringing up a news story, please skim through the main page posts, FanPosts and FanShots to see someone else has already linked it. If someone has already linked it put up your post only if it adds a different perspective the ongoing discussion. Otherwise repetitive posts (and comments) will be deleted.
-- Do not post links to illegal content, including pirated streams or feeds. Doing so makes you subject to immediate banning by BCI and throughout the SBN family of websites.
4. Respect others: It's certainly permissible to disagree with some, but insulting them and launching personal attacks against other members or other Boston College communities is not acceptable. We are all part of the Boston College family so please do your best to respect others. If your viewpoint differs from someone else's, then point out the particular issues you have with their argument. Attack the opinion, not the person. If you do take issue with a certain individual, please address your personal beef outside of the BC Interruption community through e-mail or some other form of private communication. Do not hash out your differences in the comments section.
Any insult or any comment that would be perceived as an insult, attack or a lecture to the moderators could be subjected to deletion, warning or subsequent banning. The moderators reserve the right to delete any post or comment that is deemed not appropriate for BC Interruption.
5. Be hospitable to the "other" guys: While this is a Boston College blog, we want to welcome fans of other schools such as Syracuse, Notre Dame and even UConn. We aim to primarily serve Eagles, but if you support another academic institution, we want you to feel welcome here as well. This blog may be written by Eagles, but it isn't just for Eagles.
6. Keep swearing to a minimum: We understand that everyone has the urge to swear, especially on a fan blog. However, for the community's sake, please keep the swearing down to a minimum and refrain from vulgar language in all forms. Name-calling and other personal insults will not be tolerated.
7. Be welcoming: We want more and more people to become a part of this community here at BC Interruption. In order to help make that happen, we want to be as inclusive as possible the more we expand. As we develop more followers, please refrain from hazing the "n00bs." We want all first-time visitors to come back, become an integral part of the site, and have an enjoyable experience, so be welcoming to them. Treat them as your guests.
8. There are no rules for being a fan: If you're an optimist, don't criticize others for not being "true fans" and cheering along. Conversely, if you're pessimist, don't bring down the mood. Let others cheer and support Boston College and other programs in their own ways. There are no uniform guidelines as to how to be a proper fan. In turn, be sure to allow others to enjoy Boston College athletics and college sports however they see fit.
9. Use common sense and just ask the editors: It's tough to address every issue that may come up so as a result, if you have a particular concern with something, simply use common sense. If you're still unsure of something, then please feel free to send any of the editors an e-mail. We're more than receptive to listening to your thoughts feelings so don't hesitate to shoot us your questions via e-mail. We'll get back to you as soon as possible.
10. Live by the school's motto: You represent the Boston College community. Should you venture off to other places within the SB Nation network of communities, please live by the "Ever to Excel" motto of the school. Even if you are not treated well at a rival blog, take the high road. Don't stoop to the level of others as you represent Boston College and the BC Interruption community. When you are visiting other sites, follow our guidelines here, be respectful of the site's admins and make us proud.