TAMPA, FL - APRIL 07: Forward Barry Almeida #9 of the Boston College Eagles holds the charmpionship trophy after defeating the Ferris State Bulldogs during the NCAA Division 1 Men's Hockey Championship Game at the Tampa Bay Times Forum on April 7, 2012 in Tampa, Florida. (Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images)
The Pike's Peak Club held their 63rd Annual Award Banquet today at the Westin Hotel in Waltham. The awards were a culminating moment for a season that few will ever forget. The awards featured some BC fixtures such as Father Tony Penna, and Father Jack Harrington and also included some BC alumni such as Barry Hynes and Tom Burke.
Some of the highlights of the award ceremony included:
- The Norman Dailey Award for Team MVP: Shared by Barry Almeida, Brian Dumoulin and Parker Milner.
- John "Snooks" Kelley Award (given to the player who best exemplifies the ideals of Boston College Hockey): Shared by Paul Carey and Tommy Cross. Not much of a surprise here. These two were the quintessential BC players under Jerry York. Really glad to see them honored here.
- William J. Flynn Coaches Award: Given by Jerry York to goaltender Chris Venti and team manager Samson Lee. Personally, I love to see the backups and managers honored. They work really hard and never get the recognition they deserve.
James Tiernan Award (given to team's most improved player): Given to Chris Kreider. Now I get the need to give awards to as many players as possible, but weren't we talking about removing Parker Milner back in January?
- Bernie Burke Outstanding Freshman Award: Johnny Gaudreau. Duh
- Tommy Cross won the Academic Excellence Award while Edwin Shea won the Academic Achievement Award.
The Pikes Peak event sounded like a great way to recognize the hard work of these fine individuals. Again, these boys make us all proud. Go Eagles!