Handicapping The Hockey East Regular Season Championship

With just two regular season series remaining, the Boston College Eagles (15-7-1, 31 points) maintain a one-point lead over UMass-Lowell (15-8-0, 30 points) in the Hockey East regular season standings. BC is in a great position to repeat as Hockey East regular season champions,

The website playoffstatus.com calculates the various probabilities of HEA teams making the conference's postseason tournament.

With upcoming series against Providence and Vermont, the Eagles now have a 72 percent probability of winning Hockey East's regular season crown. Despite being a point back of second-place Lowell, Boston University (14-8-1, 29 points) has the second highest chance of earning Hockey East's number 1 overall spot with a 16 percent probability. Lowell has a 12 percent probability, while Merrimack, Maine and Providence all have less than a one percent chance of taking the regular season title.

It's shaping up to be a three-horse race to the finish for Hockey East's regular season crown. Of the three programs vying for the number 1 seed, BC and BU have the much easier schedules from here on out:

Boston College -- (3 home, 1 road) -- at Providence, Providence, Vermont, Vermont
Boston University (1 home, 3 road) -- at Vermont, at Vermont, Northeastern, at Northeastern
UMass-Lowell -- (2 home, 2 road) -- at Merrimack, Merrimack, at Providence, Providence

BC and BU's games against Vermont -- whose already been eliminated from the Hockey East Tournament -- and BC and UML's games against Providence will go a long way towards determining the regular season league champ.

More good news from playoffstatus.com as the Eagles have a 99 percent probability of finishing in the top three spots and earning home ice in the Hockey East quarterfinals. Using playoffstatus.com probabilities, here is how the Hockey East Quarterfinals is shaking out:

No. 1 Boston College (15-7-1) vs. No. Massachusetts (7-12-4)
No. 2 UMass-Lowell (15-8-0) vs. No. 7 New Hampshire (10-12-2)
No. 3 Boston University (14-8-1) vs. No. 6 Providence (10-10-3)
No. 4 Maine (13-9-2) vs. No. 5 Merrimack (11-8-4)

With a victory over Providence on Friday, combined with either a UMass-Lowell victory over Merrimack or a Northeastern victory over Maine, the Eagles can clinch at least the number 4 spot and first round home ice.

Go Eagles!

X
Log In Sign Up

forgot?
Log In Sign Up

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior users will need to choose a permanent username, along with a new password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

I already have a Vox Media account!

Verify Vox Media account

Please login to your Vox Media account. This account will be linked to your previously existing Eater account.

Please choose a new SB Nation username and password

As part of the new SB Nation launch, prior MT authors will need to choose a new username and password.

Your username will be used to login to SB Nation going forward.

Forgot password?

We'll email you a reset link.

If you signed up using a 3rd party account like Facebook or Twitter, please login with it instead.

Forgot password?

Try another email?

Almost done,

By becoming a registered user, you are also agreeing to our Terms and confirming that you have read our Privacy Policy.

Join BC Interruption

You must be a member of BC Interruption to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at BC Interruption. You should read them.

Join BC Interruption

You must be a member of BC Interruption to participate.

We have our own Community Guidelines at BC Interruption. You should read them.

Spinner.vc97ec6e

Authenticating

Great!

Choose an available username to complete sign up.

In order to provide our users with a better overall experience, we ask for more information from Facebook when using it to login so that we can learn more about our audience and provide you with the best possible experience. We do not store specific user data and the sharing of it is not required to login with Facebook.

tracking_pixel_9347_tracker