2012-13 ACC Preseason Poll (first-place votes in parenthesis)
1. N.C. State Wolfpack (26) - 601 overall points
2. Duke Blue Devils (21) - 589
3. North Carolina Tar Heels - 520
4. Florida St. Seminoles (6) - 484
5. Miami Hurricanes - 436
6. Maryland Terrapins - 341
7. Virginia Cavaliers - 287
8. Clemson Tigers - 277
9. Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets - 189
10. Virginia Tech Hokies - 169
11. Wake Forest Demon Deacons - 151
12. Boston College Eagles - 90
Not much difference between the coaches and the media ballot. Miami edged Florida State for fourth in the coaches poll, while the media gave fourth place to Florida State by a comfortable margin. The defending league champs even received six first-place votes. The only other difference between the two preseason polls was Virginia Tech over Wake Forest in the media poll, where the Hokies and Demon Deacons tied for 10th in the coaches. The rest was the same. You buying the N.C. State hype yet?
The media also followed the coaches for the All-Conference Team, Player of the Year (N.C. State's C.J. Leslie) and Rookie of the Year (N.C. State's Rodney Purvis). This was the first year that the coaches compiled a preseason poll and it kinda took the fun out of the media poll reveal. Oh well. Not putting too much stock into either the coaches or the media poll. And by the way, Boston College won't finish last this season.