EA Sports BC Entrance
For gaming nerds like myself, there are unofficial holidays that you non-basement dwellers don't know about it.
There are the yearly gatherings of people outside of Best Buy to buy the newest installment of Madden. There are those of us that are almost brought to tears when they see the new Gears of War commercial. Finally for those of us who love college sports, we pre-order NCAA Football and spend the rest of the summer mashing buttons while the rest of you go outside and "get sun" and "stay healthy." I always play as Boston College -- big surprise -- and one of the most frustrating parts of the game is that without fail the Eagles always have terrible ratings.
Let's take a look at this year's ratings for the Eagles:
|Offense||Defense / Specialists|
|Montel Harris||RB||92||Luke Kuechly||LB||97|
|Emmett Cleary||OT||86||Kevin Pierre-Louis||LB||89|
|Nathan Richman||OG||85||Donnie Fletcher||CB||86|
|Mark Spinney||C||84||Kaleb Ramsey||DT||84|
|Chris Pantale||TE||84||Jim Noel||SS||83|
|Andre Williams||RB||83||Max Holloway||DT||83|
|Bobby Swigert||WR||82||Okechukwu Okoroha||FS||82|
|Bryan Davis||OG||82||Ryan Quigley||P||82|
|John Wetzel||OT||80||Nate Freese||K||82|
|Chase Rettig||QB||78||Steele Divitto||LB||81|
|Alex Amidon||WR||77||Nick Clancy||LB||79|
|Rolandan Finch||RB||77||Dominick LeGrande||CB||79|
|Clyde Lee||WR||77||Dillon Quinn||DT||78|
|Tahj Kimble||RB||77||Dominique Williams||CB||78|
|Johnathan Coleman||WR||77||Conor O'Neal||DT||77|
|Alex Foxen||FB||76||Kasim Edebali||DE||76|
|Ian White||OG||74||A.J. Currelley||CB||75|
|Lars Anderson||TE||74||Will Thompson||LB||74|
|Dave Shinskie||QB||73||Jake Sinkovec||LB||73|
Just as a note, I found these rankings through EA Sports' Team Builder, which at points got tedious and confusing. Therefore in the interest of my sanity I did not do the entire roster, only those players we may hear from this year. Also pairing freshman players and their numbers was like sorting tax code, so I only did a few. Here are a few interesting notes:
- As predicted we our ratings are top heavy on linebackers and OT, and surprise our two highest offensive skill players are running backs.
- EA doesn't think very much about either Chase Rettig or Dave Shinskie. Rettig is up considerably from last year (63), but Dave Shinskie is much lower than last year (81). I would hazard a guess that Rettig's rating is the lowest for a starting QB in the ACC in this game.
- Montel Harris is only a 92? That seems a little low for the leading rusher in the ACC.
- Luke Kuechly at a 97 seems about right. The BC homer in me says he should be a 99, but I can't imagine there are many perfect players in college football right now.
- Albert Louis Jean, who by most accounts is BC's most touted recruit, doesn't appear to be in the game. And don't plan on building around a freshman QB because Christian Suntrip isn't in the game either.
- Colin Larmond Jr. was only a 67, lower than all WR's on BC other than Donte Elliott. Knee injury aside, he is going to be a bigger factor for BC than EA is giving him credit for.
Those are just some of my thoughts. Any of these ratings surprise you? Do you think they are accurate? What would you change?