We are back with the latest installment of the BC Interruption Hate Index. Let's get to it.
Last Week's Relegation: Bill Simmons (11) -- Damn. Looks like we've lost our first BC Interruption Hate Index HOF member to relegation. It's been a good run, BS. There was even a Tumblr created dedicated to your digs at BC, stemming from your Boston College rejection. I'm sure you are loving the fact that Holy Cross beat BC in hoops for the first time in nearly a decade this season.
On to this week's list.
- Boston University (15 consecutive weeks) -- Salzano14: "Here's the thing about BU. They think they are every bit as good as us in... everything. Really. They actually think that. It's insane. Hockey? "Hey, 5 to 4, buddy!" Yeah, beat Holy Cross, then come talk to me. Academics? "Hey, those rankings don't take into account... houses with two television sets... and... things of that nature..." Congratulations, you're a babbling idiot. Campus? "We... don't have one." Damn right you don't. Come gaze at Gasson for a change and feel worthless. It'll be good for your soul.
It's ridiculous. No matter what you tell them, no matter what happens on the ice, no matter what proof is given to them, they will always, always, always believe that the skinny envelope they received in the mail from BC their senior year of high school doesn't mean anything. That their school really is every bit the pure, sublime beacon of excellence that The Towers On The Heights are. They believe that. And it is absolutely maddening."
- Spazball (3) -- Remember that Miami game a few weeks back? The W felt good, didn't it? Well remember that part where Spaz did everything in his power to make it a game in the second half? You probably don't remember this since Luke Kuechly decided to be an Animal Champion Warrior Legend and single-handedly win the game by himself.
But to jog your memory, here are BC's second half offensive possessions after taking a 17-14 lead early in the third quarter:
3 plays 7 yards, 01:39 BOSTCOLL PUNT
7 plays 52 yards, 04:11 BOSTCOLL FUMB (throwing Josh Bordner under center, BAD SPAZ, BAD!)
3 plays 9 yards, 01:32 BOSTCOLL PUNT
3 plays 9 yards, 02:01 BOSTCOLL PUNT
5 plays 15 yards, 02:40 BOSTCOLL PUNT
3 plays 0 yards, 02:27 BOSTCOLL PUNT
Spazball always delivers.
- UConn (4) -- More Salzano14, who is more than qualified to speak on the matter:
"May I have the honor of discussing UConn this week? I may? Good. See, I live in Connecticut. Right in the middle of it. You cannot escape the Dumb that is UConn here.
I love my state, a lot. If you want to get into an argument with me about the merits of my state outside of being the Yellow Brick Road to New York, I'll argue with you until I'm blue in the face. But I'll be the first one to tell you to keep the Huskies out of it.
Let's get the easy stuff out of the way: Your football team is an embarrassment. Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ. You guys are the slowest kids in a race of slow kids in that high school conference this year. Oh but hey, congratulations on the burden you put on me as a taxpayer by making me pay for your beat down in Tempe last year. I hope you enjoyed embarrassing all of us.
Secondly, did you really think your basketball team belonged as a preseason #5? You guys were TWENTY-FIRST in the final regular season AP poll last year! Twenty-first! Congratulations on the UConn Kemba Walkers on their fantastic run to the title, but Kemba peaced out of that middle of nowhere dump quicker than if someone had put a book in front of him. One tournament loss last year and no one would be insulting Duke or Syracuse hoops fans by voting you ahead of their teams in the preseason poll. And who on earth gave you number one votes?? I didn't know the AP consulted the Daily Campus for their basketball rankings.
And for the love of God, no one cares are your freaking women's basketball team."
- Big East media shills (2) -- We think that this week's "Big East media shills" description blindly took GDF's talking points and wrote itself. #BlaudsTweets
- Neighbors (14) -- Because you know the neighbors are loving Gene and Spaz peddling football mediocrity on the Heights.
- Jim Calhoun (15) -- Looking forward to seeing Calhoun roaming the bench for UConn as the Huskies open Big East play at South Florida, at home vs. St. John's and at Seton Hall? Well, you'll ultimately be disappointed, as Calhoun is suspended for UConn's first three Big East games this season for "failing to create an atmosphere of compliance within the program." Stay classy, state of Connecticut's highest paid employee.
- Notre Dame students (10) -- Just because.
- This Week's Addition: Boston College A.D.'s public utterances (1) -- Take your pick. Here is just a sampling from the Year of Flip:
"It doesn't matter. I'm with Spaz every single day. Spaz is the best coach that we've had in the 15 years that I've been here. Spaz is coming back next year and our future here is really, really bright."
"They're not here every day. They're not here all the time. Spaz and I work 24/7 and they just have to trust us and understand that this program is headed in the right way. You have to remember when I got here in 1997, the football team had had three winning teams in 10 years. We've had 12 consecutive winning teams, 10 of those years we've won eight or more games, six of those 12 years we've won nine or more. Believe me, losing is totally unacceptable here and it will not happen again."
"We didn't want them [UConn] in. It was a matter of turf. We wanted to be the New England team."
"We always keep our television partners close to us ... You don't get extra money for basketball. It's 85 percent football money. TV - ESPN - is the one who told us what to do. This was football; it had nothing to do with basketball."
"Very impressive to see ALL Clemson fans in their seats 10 minutes before kickoff, in time for national anthem."
And on ... and on ... and on ...
As a reminder, please add your nominations for the vacated spot in the comments (and/or add better descriptions for the index members you truly despise). The best submission(s) each week will be featured in next week's Hate Index. Please hate responsibly.