Week 5 ballot below, or where 33% of Division I teams nicknamed the Wildcats crack our Top 16.
|7||West Virginia||17-3||Big East
|10||Kansas State Wildcats
- With Kentucky losing, Kansas leapfrogs Villanova and Syracuse to reclaim the top spot on this week's ballot. Kansas had a very good week, defeating both Missouri and K-State in overtime to move to 20-1.
- Kentucky's loss to South Carolina drops the Wildcats down 5 spots. Kentucky has the weakest resume of the 1-losses. I don't think they would have just 1 loss at this point in the season if they played in the ACC, Big East or Big Ten.
- Georgetown stays above Duke, the team they beat on Saturday, even though they got throttled by Syracuse earlier in the week.
- Perhaps I was too harsh on K-State last week? Maybe. But a home loss to Oklahoma State didn't sit well with me. After starting the season 13-1, the Wildcats are 4-3 in their last 7 games.
- Texas remains a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. The Longhorns have now lost 3 of their last 5, including losses to Connecticut (who is currently dangerously spiraling out of control), K-State and Baylor (in OT).
- New mid-majors crack the our 16 this week. Butler (currently on a 10 game win streak, rolling the rest of the Horizon League) and New Mexico (76-72 winners over BYU).
- Vanderbilt replaces Tennessee as the second best team in the SEC with their 85-76 win over the Vols. Nevermind the loss to Kentucky.
- I really wanted to put a second ACC team on this list - I mean, ACC basketball > SEC basketball, right? - but our league keeps shooting itself in the foot. Just when I think that team could be Maryland, they fall back to earth against Clemson. Florida State? Pummeled by Duke. Georgia Tech? Lost to FSU. Clemson? Lost to BC. Wake Forest? Lost to Georgia Tech. I'm pretty close to just giving up on the ACC this year.
Dropped Out: Brigham Young (#10), Tennessee (#12), Temple (#13)
Welcome (Back): Butler (#14), New Mexico (#15), Vanderbilt (#16)
Maybe Next Week: Tennessee, someone from the ACC, Gonzaga, Xavier/Temple/Rhode Island
By Conference: Big East 4, Big Ten 4, Big 12 3, SEC 2, ACC 1, Horizon 1, Mountain West 1